Self Care Sunday

One of my goals for the new year is to focus on self care.  Monday through Friday my self care is time at the gym in the morning, and not to toot my own horn, but I’m great about it!  I don’t know the last time I missed a weekday morning workout.  My self care after school is taking a half mile walk with Weasley and spending time with Peter after he comes home from work.  That means I’m not doing any school work after Peter comes home and that is the part of my self care that is the most challenging for me because as my teacher friends know, the work is never ending.  Right now I need help to be successful in this so to help me Peter sends me a text when he’s on his way home and I use that as my que to wrap things up.  Now I know we’ve only been back in school for a week, but we celebrate the big things and the small things around here so- so far so good!  There was only one day that I was still working when (and worked for about five minutes after) Peter got home.  That’s a huge and welcome change since last semester!

I love relaxing and taking it easy on the weekends, but I’m not necessarliy intentional about doing something for myself, by myself, that makes me feel good.  I love getting my nails done, but I HATE the cost so I rarely do it.  In December I started following Abby Mullins (BabblingAbby) on Instagram and she has the prettiest nails, but guess what- they’re ImPRESS Press On Gel Manicure Nails. That’s right y’all, her nails are press ons!  I couldn’t believe it either and had to try them for myself so the next time I was at Target I picked up a matte back pair try.



How good do they look?! 

I was in LOVE, but they only lasted two and a half days.  I was so frustrated because I had seen so many people saying their’s lasted five to seven days.  What was I doing wrong?  Turns out people are reinforcing them with nail glue.  I wanted so badly to try them again, but I knew they wouldn’t last long without the nail glue.  I didn’t want to use nail glue and risk messing up my real nails, but I couldn’t get them out of my head.  Every time I was at Target or a drug store I found myself wondering down to the nail aisle to see what sets they had and by January I had four sets of nails and a bottle of nail glue to reinforce them with.  The weekend before we went back to school I really was feeling the need to do something for myself, by myself, that made me feel good so on the Sunday night before we went back to school I went into our bedroom, closed the door, and gave myself a manicure.


I was in love again!  Using the nail glue I was able to wear the nails for seven days and the nail glue didn’t mess up my real nails!  About half of the nails did come loose and three popped completely off, but I reguled them and it was fine.  Earlier this afternoon I took them off, cleaned my nails, and applied a new set.                                                                                

Because you get 30 nails, including 6 accent nails, I can get two manicures from one package.  I can wear the same color for two weeks and no one has to know I didn’t get them done at a salon!  I love that, but if I’m bored with a color or I want to change the color for a holiday or a special occasion I can do that too.  

I’ve bought ImPRESS nails at both Target and Walgreens.  Target sells each package for $5.99- that’s six bucks for two weeks worth of manicures!  Walgreens has more options than Target does, but Walgreens sells them for $7.50 per pack.  Still I don’t think $7.50 for two weeks worth of manicures is bad either. 

Like I said before, I know it’s only been a week, but I’ve already found myself looking forward to my self care. What are you doing for self care?  If you’re not doing anything I encourage you to find some way to take care of yourself each day.  After all, you can’t fill other’s buckets if your’s isn’t full.

PS- Here’s a pro tip!  If you get a little nail glue on the top of the nail from the finger(s) pressing it down, put a drop or two of lemongrass essential oil on a q-tip and rub.  The glue residue will come off!  I think this trick would work even better with lemon essential oil, but I didn’t have any on hand to try it with.

PSS- After today's Self Care Sunday, I was right- lemon essential oil does work better than lemongrass essential oil to remove glue residue and it smells better too!

Comments

Popular Posts