Chewin’ My Bubble Gum 

This week is National Bubble Gum Week!  I’ve only been teaching kindergarten for about 6 months now, but one of my favorite memories was on the 50th Day of Kindergarten when we had a Bubble Blowing Contest.  Two or three kids were able to blow a bubble.  The other kids wanted to be able to so badly and I knew I had the opportunity for an engaging activity on my hands.

We celebrated our 50th Day of Kindergarten on Halloween and we were due to start our How To Writing Unit in November.  I’m sure by now you can guess what we learned how to do- blow a bubble!  The kids had so much fun, were so engaged, and so many of them were successful!

After we learned how to blow a bubble we wrote about how to do it.  First we wrote as a class {I wish I had a picture of the Guided Writing Anchor Chart we made!  Next year!} and then the students wrote the steps to blow a bubble in their own bubble books.  There are so many cute, free resources on Teachers Pay Teachers, but my kids always feel extra special when they create a book so I used this template from Tales from the First Grade by Abbie Jinnings.  They loved it!  These books along with pictures of them blowing bubbles made for the cutest hallway display! {Which I don’t have a picture of either.  I really need to get it together!}

Another way I recently started using bubble gum in my classroom is attached to                ‘ ____ Blew Me Away Today!' certificates.  {Thank you, Julie for this adorable freebie!}  One of my goals for this school year is more positive parent communication.  Some weeks I'm awesome and other weeks I'm terrible, but these certificates have helped me so much already!  I printed several of the '____ Blew Me Away Today!' certificates on cardstock and put them on the shelf right behind my kidney table.  Whenever a student blows me away with their work I grab a certificate, fill it out, and tape a piece of gum to it.  I also like to include a little note about what the student did that blew me away.


How do you use bubble gum in your classroom- for engagement, rewards, or something completely different?  I'd love to know and I'll try my best to incorporate it into my classroom this week in honor of National Bubble Gum Week!

Comments

Popular Posts