The Muffin (Wo)Man

Baking- you love it or you hate it and I hate it.  Baking tends to take so much time, so many ingredients, and creates so many dirty dishes, some of which can’t be washed in the dishwasher, so forget about it!  I just don’t have the time or patience for it.  I do enjoy cooking most days after work, but that’s another post for another time.

One of my closest friends and I love following Abby from About Abby Blog on Instagram. She shares all kinds of things, but one of the things I enjoy most that she shares is what she eats and what she cooks and bakes for her family.  Recently she shared a recipe for blueberry protein muffins.  They looked yummy and even though she said they were quick and easy {and I did believe her} it was baking so I was having no part of it.  

A few weekends ago my friend texted me that she made the blueberry protein muffins and both she and her husband loved them.  I asked her all my questions about them {And if you know me you know I had about a million!} and she reassured me that were quick and easy to make and didn’t dirty up a lot of dishes.  I went to check out the recipe again and I already had many of the ingredients at home.  So there it was- a muffin recipe that didn’t take much time to prep or cook, didn’t require too many ingredients (I needed the cake mix, almond milk, one banana, and frozen blueberries), and wouldn’t dirty up a lot of dishes (and the dishes it would dirty up can all be washed in the dishwasher).  Monday is my weekly grade level meeting, but I promised myself on Tuesday I’d run to Walmart after school, pick up the ingredients I needed {and a muffin tin because I guess mine got lost in one of the moves.  Please friends, tell me I’m not alone in this happening!}, and bake the muffins and I did just that!

My husband loves sweets {I’m a salty food girl all the way} and I was going to surprise him with the muffins when he got home from work, well joke’s on me because that Tuesday was the one day he came home from work early.  He was shocked when he came in the door to see me baking and couldn’t wait for the muffins to be done so he could try one!  The muffin mix was easy to prepare and I had the dishes rinsed and in the dishwasher and the counter tops wiped down before it was time to take the muffins out of the oven.  Here’s the recipe I followed (courtesy of Abby from About Abby Blog):

2 cups of Kodak Cake Mix- buttermilk 
1 Egg
1 1/2 Riped Bananas- mashed 
Handful of Frozen Blueberries
2.5 tbsp Butter- softened (I did this by microwaving the butter for 20 seconds.) 
1/3 cup Light Brown Sugar (I used 1/4 of a cup.) 
Sprinkle of Cinnamon 

Mix everything in a bowl until smooth.  Bake in oven at 350 degrees for 15 minutes. (My cook time was 23-25 minutes.) 

Blueberry Protein Muffins 

We loved the muffins!  This recipe made seven muffins, but I made them big (which might be why my cook time was different than Abby’s) and the next thing I knew we were down to three.  Peter asked me to go ahead and a make a second batch and I did after I cooked dinner.  While I was preparing dinner and the muffins I thought it would be fun {less healthy, but fun} to substitute the blueberries for chocolate chips, the cinnamon for nutmeg, and add a splash of vanilla to make chocolate chip protein muffins.

I got lucky that particular week and didn’t have a staff meeting on Wednesday so after work I went back to Walmart to pick up more cake mix, bananas, and chocolate chips. While I was picking up the chocolate chips I spotted peanut butter chips, so I picked those up as well, came home and made two batches of muffins- chocolate chip protein muffins and peanut butter chocolate chip protein muffins.

Chocolate Chip Protein Muffins
2 cups of Kodak Cake Mix- buttermilk 
1 cup Unsweetened Almond Milk 
1 Egg
1 1/2 Riped Bananas- mashed 
Handful of Milk Chocolate Chocolate Chips 
2.5 tbsp Butter- softened (I did this by microwaving the butter for 20 seconds.) 
1/4 cup Light Brown Sugar
Sprinkle of Nutmeg 
Splash of Vanilla Extract 

Directions- Mix everything in a bowl until smooth.  Bake in oven at 350 degrees for 23-25 minutes.

Chocolate Chip Protein Muffins 

Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Protein Muffins
2 cups of Kodak Cake Mix- buttermilk 
1 cup Unsweetened Almond Milk 
1 Egg
1 1/2 Riped Bananas- mashed 
 Small Handful of Milk Chocolate Chocolate Chips 
Small Handful of Peanut Butter Chips
2.5 tbsp Butter- softened (I did this by microwaving the butter for 20 seconds.) 
1/4 cup Light Brown Sugar
Sprinkle of Nutmeg 
Splash of Vanilla Extract 

Directions- Mix everything in a bowl until smooth.  Bake in oven at 250 degrees for 23-25 minutes.

Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Muffins 

The exciting this about both of batches of muffins was that they were a surprise to Peter!  He loved them both, but his favorite between the three is definitely the peanut butter chocolate chip.  I think the chocolate chip protein muffins are the best, with the blueberry protein muffins and peanut butter chocolate chip muffins tied for second place.

Do you enjoy baking?  If you do and you have a quick, easy recipe for baked goods send it my way!  I’d love to give it a shot!  If you try any of these protein muffin recipes let me know!  I’d love to know what you think!  Until then, Happy Baking Friends!

Comments

Popular Posts