Oil Training

My hair is very thin and super fine. I used to wash it every day because if I didn’t you could have cooked french fries in it! 😝 Okay, that’s a little dramatic, but the point still stands.

I have wanted to oil train my hair for a while, but had always heard it looks rough in the beginning so I never felt like there was a good time to do it until summer break.  The first week of summer break I started by washing my hair on Friday and then washing it every other day (so Sunday, Tuesday, and Thursday).  On Monday, Wednesday, and Friday I wore a shower cap in the shower.  When I got out of the shower I blow dried the little bits of hair that were wet and then used dry shampoo. After I let the dry shampoo sit for a few minutes I massaged it in and then styled my hair or threw it up in a pony tail.

I was planning to do this for two weeks, but after the gym on Saturday morning I didn’t wash my hair when I showered because I thought I was going to go to the pool and I planned to wash it in the shower after I got home.  It turned out that I never made it to the pool, but I took it as an opportunity to go ahead and start washing my hair every two days.  In the beginning if I was styling my hair on the third day I couldn’t go two days without washing it, but if I was throwing it up in a ponytail it was totally fine!  That was great news for the summer and for lazy weekends during the school year, but during the work week and weekends when we had plans I needed to wash my hair every other day.

Once the school year started I went back to washing my hair every other day.  If I was lucky every once in a while if I wore it straight two days in a row I could get away with curled hair pulled back with a headband on the third day. With time that luck turned into the norm and now I can go three days without washing my hair and style it however I want to on the third day.

It’s taken a lot of time {about 5 and a half months}, patience, and up-dos for my hair to be able to go three days without washing.  I’ve been asked several times during this oil training process for my best piece of advice and it’s as simple as patience. {Easier said than done I know!} Oil training takes time and if you give it time you will see results.  If you would have told me six months ago when I started the process that I would only be washing my hair 2-3 times per week I would have told you you were crazy!!

Another piece of advice I have is to use a gentle shampoo and conditioner. About half way through the summer I started using Not Your Mother’s Way to Grow Long and Strong Shampoo and Conditioner.  My goal was to find a shampoo and conditioner that were less harsh than the Dove shampoo and conditioner I was buying in bulk at Costco and using at the time.  I saw the Not Your Mother’s Way to Grow line at Walmart, saw they had good reviews online, and decided to try them.  I’ve never looked back!

Friends who don’t wash their hair every day what’s your go to dry shampoo?  On the days that you wash your hair what shampoo and conditioner do you use?

Comments

Popular Posts