Celebrating Student Birthdays

As many of you know I’ve taught second grade, Pre-Kindergarten, and Kindergarten and while students in all of those grades love their birthday, I have found that my Pre-Kindergarten and Kindergarten students love their birthday some kind of fierce!

My mom is the best at remembering names and birthdays.  She passed on part of her name remembering onto me, but she didn’t pass any of the birthday remembering down.  I’m the worst at remembering birthdays and I really never have been the best about celebrating student birthdays.  At the end of last school year my assistant and I made a promise to each other that we were going to be better about celebrating student birthdays this year.

I started working towards keeping this promise over the summer by buying month headers (These are not the ones I bought, but they are similar and a better price too.) to hang on our back wall.  During the first week of school I pulled students based on the month they were born in, gave them the calendar piece to hold for the day they were born, and took a picture.  I had the pictures printed {I always use Walgreens because coupons!} 4x6, backed them on black paper, and hung each picture under it’s month.  {I hope my explanation makes sense! I would take a picture and post it, but for student confidentiality I can’t.  I did find this example on Teachers Pay Teachers to give you a better idea of what I did.}

My assistant found crazy straws on Amazon (Again these are not the exact crazy straws we bought, but these are a great option that for under $10 you could have more than enough straws for each student in your class.) and I found a cute, free printable from Brooke at Once Upon a Learning Adventure.  We printed out the balloons, taped them on the crazy straws, and we’re good to go on a birthday treat for each student for the whole school year!

These small things we did have made a huge difference in helping us to remember and celebrate student birthdays.  I’m so glad we did them and the students love it too!  They love seeing their picture in our classroom and they think the crazy straws are the coolest thing ever!  It’s the simple things.  :)

Comments

Popular Posts