The Decade Challenge

We’ve seen it all over social media- The Decade Challenge.  Post a picture from 2009 and a picture from 2019.

I don’t take pictures of myself, or have my picture taken by myself, so this really is the best I could do for the decade challenge.  I love that it ended up being two of my favorite pictures with two of my favorite people!

They say a picture is worth 1,000 words, but in this case I don’t think a picture {or two} does an entire decade justice so I sat down with my camera roll, grabbed a few extra pictures from the decade, and wrote a little bit about each year from this decade.

2009- I graduated high school, turned 18, and started college.  It was the first time I’ve ever lived outside of Greenville, South Carolina.  I was a little less than two hours away from home at Winthrop University in Rock Hill, South Carolina.  Go Eagles!

Winthrop doesn’t have a football team so we tailgated for basketball games!

2010- If anything significant happened in 2010 I can’t remember what is was so I’m going with nothing really significant happened!

2011- I turned 20.  That was the day I met my husband.  We were working a summer job together at Staples.  He quickly became one of my best friends and I guess the rest is history!

This is the first picture I can find of Peter and I together.  We were getting ready to see One Republic in at The Gravedigger’s Ball in Charlotte!

2012- I student taught in a first grade classroom in 2012.  It was my senior year in college and my favorite one!

2013- I graduated college, started my teaching career teaching second grade, and got an iPhone.  That’s what I did with my first pay check- got an iPhone!  2013 was also the first time I had an apartment where I was responsible for everything.


2014- Peter and I moved to Glen Allen, Virginia.  We got engaged.  I taught second grade in Richmond.  It was the hardest year of my teaching career, but if I had do to it over again knowing what I know now I would do it over again every single time I was given the opportunity to.  I learned so much that year and I will always be grateful for it.  I bought my first car in 2014, well it wasn’t my first car, but it was the first {and only} car I purchased myself.  2014 was also the year we met Weasley, but we wouldn’t bring him home until 2015.


2015-  Weasley came home!  That day is one of my favorite days ever, ever, ever.  One of my favorite memories from the beginning of Weasley was his first (and second) snow!  In 2015 we bought one-way plane tickets to Seattle, Washington.  I taught K4 in Bellevue and loved every single minute of it!  For Thanksgiving 2015 we had pizza from Zeek’s Pizza.  It was one of my favorite Thanksgivings ever.  Peter and I took our favorite vacation we’ve taken together- Las Vegas!


2016-  We started off the year by going to the Alabama vs. Clemson College Football National Championship Game in Glendale, Arizona.  In April of 2016 I lost my grandpa.  In July we moved to Frisco, Texas.  I love Texas BIG and miss it every day!!  I taught K4.  I walked and ran my only 5Ks that year.


2017-  2017 was the year Peter and I finally got married!  {That’s a good story, but for another time!} Shortly after, I stepped out of the classroom and into administration in 2017. I met three of my best friends that year!

Me and two of my very best friends! I wanted to put a wedding picture here, but since that’s a story for another time I’ll save the picture for that time too.

2018- We moved back to Greenville, South Carolina.  I stepped back into the classroom {The classroom I am in today, the longest I’ve ever been in the same classroom!} teaching Kindergarten.


2019- We did our birthday’s big this year!  We celebrated in Boston and Atlanta!  I also spent a few days just me and my grandma, which really ended up being a precious time for me since we lost my grandma in October.

Please do not ask why the only picture I have with a person in it from our birthday weekend in Atlanta is a selfie with the Atlanta Braves’ A showing its backside!  Neither Peter or I is the best with taking pictures, but we are both trying to get better at it!

What a decade it has been!  It had high highs and low lows, but I wouldn’t trade a single second of it for the world.  Here’s to the next decade!



Comments

Popular Posts